Were you or a loved one hurt in a slip and fall accident in Destin, FL? If you fell on someone else’s property, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Call a Destin slip and fall accident lawyer at Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys for help recovering the compensation you deserve.
Our lawyers have been fighting for accident victims across the panhandle for decades. We’ve worked hard, and it shows: we’ve recovered millions of dollars for people like you.
How Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help After a Slip and Fall Accident in Destin, FL
Most slip and fall accidents are preventable. Unfortunately, property owners often cut corners and fail to maintain their property. The good news is, they can be held liable for damages. A skilled lawyer can help you recover every dollar you deserve.
At Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys, our Destin personal injury lawyers have decades of combined experience. Our legal team includes an AV-preeminent rated attorney who has recovered millions for clients like you.
When you hire our personal injury law firm, you’ll have a trusted advocate to:
- Conduct a prompt investigation to preserve the evidence you need
- Invest our own resources to hire experts who can back up your claim
- Defend you if the insurance company tries to blame you for the fall
- Handle all insurance negotiations so that you can focus on recovering
Our Destin personal injury attorneys have a reputation for never backing down from an insurance fight. If the insurance company refuses to negotiate in good faith, we’ll take your case to trial and fight for what you deserve.
We offer a free initial consultation and work on a contingency fee basis, so don’t hesitate to reach out for more information.
How Common Are Slip and Fall Accidents in Destin?
Slips and falls are extremely common in the United States. In fact, they’re a leading cause of unintentional injury and death in the U.S.–especially among older adults. Over 60% of nursing home residents fall each year.
Falls are also a problem in the workplace. Nearly 85% of all workers’ compensation claims are based on slips and falls.
What is My Destin Slip and Fall Accident Case Worth?
Every case is different; the value of your personal injury claim will depend on:
- The severity of your injuries
- Your recovery prospects
- The cost of your medical treatment, including future needs
- The impact of the fall injury on your work and quality of life
- Your total lost earnings and out-of-pocket costs
- Your physical pain and emotional trauma
Falls may be common, but that doesn’t mean the resulting injuries are cheap. You’ll have to know how much your personal injury case is worth before accepting any settlement.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Slip and Fall Accident Victims?
Economic damages are financial in nature and cover your out-of-pocket costs after an injury, including the cost of medical care. Examples of these damages include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost earnings
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy
Non-economic damages compensate for your personal losses. They are non-financial in nature. Examples include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
Falls can also be fatal. If you lost a loved one, you may be entitled to damages for funeral costs, loss of inheritance/financial support, and more.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for a Slip and Fall Accident in Florida?
Under Florida’s modified comparative fault laws, you can recover compensation from any and all parties who contributed to your fall–even if you were partly responsible. However, your compensation can be reduced to account for your share of fault or eliminated if you are mostly at fault.
Insurance companies often try to blame injured parties. They might claim you were distracted by your phone or were clumsy at the time of the fall. It can be tough to know how to fight back.
Our Destin slip and fall accident attorneys at Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys can help. We’ll do everything possible to limit the effectiveness of these and other insurance tactics.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
Fall injuries can be much more serious than mere bumps and bruises. At Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys, our Destin slip and fall lawyers often represent victims who have sustained:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Knee injuries
- Broken hips
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Nerve damage
- Internal bleeding or organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Don’t let the insurance company pressure you into thinking that your injuries aren’t serious. Any type of injury can be expensive to treat. Slip and fall injuries could disrupt your life in unexpected ways–even if you’re expected to make a full recovery.
Ready to learn more about your legal options? Call for a free case review today.
What Causes Most Slip and Fall Accidents in Destin, Florida?
Slips and falls can happen for any number of reasons. Dangers are sometimes hard to see–that’s why the property owner is responsible for making sure dangerous conditions don’t exist on their property.
Some common causes of slips, trips, and falls in Destin include:
- Slick or slippery floors
- Puddles or spills that haven’t been properly cleaned
- Crumbling pavement
- Missing guardrails
- Unsecured rugs or carpets
- Uneven pavement and potholes
- Debris, garbage, and other obstacles
- Loose cables or wires
- Inadequate lighting
- Missing stair treads or damaged stairs
Slip and fall accidents don’t always happen indoors. Property owners are also responsible for maintaining the exterior of the premises. You may be entitled to damages if you fell in a parking lot, sidewalk, or even on the playground.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Slip and Fall Accident in Florida?
A slip and fall can happen anywhere. Under Florida premises liability laws, businesses and other property owners have a duty to keep their property reasonably safe. The scope of that duty depends on why you were visiting the property.
Falls on Business or Commercial Property
Most of the time, slip and fall accident cases involve someone who was visiting the property for business purposes. Property owners who welcome customers onto their property are subject to a heightened duty of care.
If you are an “invitee,” business owners owe you a duty to:
- Fix dangerous conditions as soon as reasonably possible
- Provide adequate warning about hazards that can’t be fixed immediately
- Regularly inspect the property to identify any hidden dangers
Failing to take these actions is a breach of the business owner’s duty of care. If that breach caused your injury, you may be entitled to damages.
The rules are a bit different if you slip on a “transient foreign substance” in Florida. Suppose you slipped and fell because of a spill at the grocery store. The spilled liquid is a “transient foreign substance.”
Under Florida law, you’ll have to prove that the business had actual or constructive knowledge of the spill.
You can prove constructive knowledge by showing either of the following:
- The spill existed for long enough that the business reasonably should have known about the danger
- The danger was common based on the type of business, so the owner should have anticipated the problem
You’ll need evidence to prove the owner is liable. Our lawyers will locate that evidence, which may include:
- Video surveillance footage
- Eyewitness testimony
- Testimony from the business’ employees
- Photographs of the accident scene
- Past safety records
- The business’ policies and procedures
After a slip and fall, it’s important to act quickly. Evidence can be lost or damaged. Our lawyers are ready to get started. We would be happy to answer your questions, so call today.
Falls on Private Property
You can also recover damages if you fall on private property. Private property owners owe a lesser duty to licensees. Licensees visit property for non-business purposes. Social guests are a common example of a licensee.
Owners are required to warn about unsafe conditions. However, they aren’t required to inspect the property to find hidden dangers.
Property owners don’t have a duty to keep their property safe for trespassers. While limited exceptions exist for young children, trespassers who are injured typically don’t have the right to seek compensation.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Slip and Fall Accident in Florida?
After a slip and fall accident in Florida, you typically only have two years to take legal action. If you fail to file a personal injury lawsuit within that two-year period, you’ll lose your right to sue for damages.
Contact a Destin Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Were you injured in a slip and fall accident in Destin or Santa Rosa County? Call a Destin slip and fall accident lawyer at Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys for a free consultation today. We also represent clients in Fort Walton Beach, Miramar Beach, Panama City, and across the Florida panhandle.
Our personal injury law firm in Destin, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Destin
- Boating Accident Attorney in Destin, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Destin Bus Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer in Destin
- Child Injury Attorney in Destin, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Destin Dog Bite Attorneys
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Destin, FL
- Destin Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Destin, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in Destin
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Destin
- Destin Uber Accident Lawyers
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Destin