Have you been injured or lost a loved one in a car accident in Destin, FL? If someone else caused you to get hurt, the Destin car accident attorneys at Brannon & Brannon can help you get the compensation you deserve for medical bills, loss of wages, and suffering.
Our top-rated injury lawyers bring 60+ years of combined legal experience to your benefit. As trusted litigators with deep roots in Northwest Florida, we’ve earned a reputation for getting results in tough cases.
We’ve won millions of dollars for victims involved in accidents throughout the Florida Panhandle. We offer free consultations. Call today to learn about your legal options at (850) 842-2573 or contact us here.
Table of Contents
How Brannon & Brannon Can Help After a Car Accident in Destin
Dealing with the aftermath of a car crash can be overwhelming. You need time to rest and recover. The last thing you need to deal with is fighting with insurance companies. Let us do that for you.
Our Destin personal injury attorneys take care of your case from beginning to end.
When our law firm takes your case, we:
- Launch a comprehensive investigation to determine the precise cause of the accident
- Identify and interview witnesses
- Manage all communications with insurance companies
- Negotiate for a settlement that covers all of your damages
- Send an experienced trial lawyer to fight your claim in court, when necessary
We’re a father-son team with strong ties to the local community. Since 1990, we’ve been helping our neighbors when they need us most. Call our Destin, FL office location as soon as posible to find out how we can help you.
How Common are Car Accidents in Destin, FL?
In 2020, in the Destin and Fort Walton Beach area (Okaloosa County and Walton County), there were about 12 car crashes a day. One in every five crashes was a hit and run.
In 2020 in Okaloosa County, there were:
- 3,075 auto accidents
- 45 fatal crashes
- 1,828 people injured in crashes
In Walton County in 2020, there were:
- 1,342 car accidents
- 703 injuries
- 29 fatalities
In 2021 as reported by mid-November, there were 2,878 crashes in Okaloosa County, resulting in 32 fatalities and 1,695 people injured.
Intersections along Highway 98 tend to be where many Destin accidents, especially those resulting in catastrophic injury or death, happen.
What is My Car Accident Case Worth?
The value depends on the circumstances of the facts specific to your situation. We’d like to give you a concrete number, but it’s just not that easy. We can tell you that we work hard to get you every dollar you deserve.
Some factors that affect the value of your claim include:
- The severity of your injuries
- The amount of any lost wages due to your injuries
- Whether you share any responsibility for the accident
- Whether you were wearing your seatbelt
- How much time your recovery is expected to take
We tend to see higher awards in cases involving severe wounds or death. We know adjusters will try to minimize the value of your case. Our founding partner is a former defense attorney and can help level the playing field against their unfair tactics.
What Kind of Damages Are Available to Accident Victims?
You can seek damages for every loss related to your accident. Damages typically fall into one of two general categories:
- Economic: to help make you financially whole
- Non-economic: to cover less tangible losses such as pain and suffering
Most of the time, your total compensation will include some damages from each category.
Economic damages can help you recoup costs for:
- Medical treatment
- Loss of wages
- Property damage
- Nursing care
- Any other out-of-pocket expenses related to your injuries
Economic damages are generally easy to calculate because you’ll have a bill or receipt for them. We frequently engage experts to help predict costs you’ll incur in the time ahead.
Non-economic damages can include compensation for:
- Emotional stress
- Loss of companionship
These aren’t as easy to calculate, but they are no less important. They often define your quality of life. We focus solely on personal injury cases, so we are experienced at knowing how to put together an accurate number that will compensate you for all of the devastation you’ve suffered.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Being Blamed For a Car Accident in Florida?
Yes. For a couple of reasons.
Florida Is a “No-Fault” State
You can recover money from your own insurance company regardless of fault when it comes to motor vehicle claims. Some of this may come from your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance. However, your PIP coverage likely won’t cover all of your expenses.
Comparative Fault Statute
When it comes to handling multiple causes of an accident, the state follows a pure comparative fault rule. This means you can still recover compensation as long as you aren’t entirely responsible for the accident.
Your compensation will be reduced by the proportion of the accident caused by your own negligence.
Insurance companies don’t want to pay your claim. It’s as simple as that. And they think the easiest way to get out of paying is to lay the blame on you. Our former defense attorney is now your fiercest advocate. He knows their tricks, and he loves using that knowledge to your advantage.
We’ll Fight for Compensation For All of Your Car Accident Injuries
We help you recover compensation for injuries of all kinds.
Some frequent situations we see are:
- Neck injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal injuries
- Internal injuries
- And more
In addition to being physically injured, we listen compassionately to you to understand the emotional and mental toll your accident has caused you and your family. We know no amount of money can make up for the havoc that your accident has caused. But a substantial award can help bring hope and stability to your future.
What Causes Most Car Accidents in Destin?
Most are caused by carelessness. Plain and simple.
Some of the most recurrent causes involve:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Mechanical failure and other product liability causes
- Failure to yield right-of-way
- Following too closely
- Dangerous lane changes
- Poorly maintained roads
- Improper signage
- Faulty traffic lights
Our legal team pays careful attention to your story. Along with a diligent approach to investigating and collecting evidence, we’ll pinpoint the cause of your accident.
We Handle All Types of Car Accident Cases
We have more than three decades of experience handling all kinds of motor vehicle crashes.
We routinely work with cases involving:
- Rollover crashes
- Head-on collisions
- Rear-end collisions
- Intersection accidents
- Left-turn accidents
- Highway accidents
- Hit and run accidents
- Truck accidents
- Lane change accidents
- Accidents involving bicycles, motorcycles, and pedestrians
- Fatal car accidents
- And more
We’ve successfully represented clients who were injured or lost a loved one in everything from single-vehicle crashes to multi-car pileups. You can trust us to fight for all the compensation you deserve. You don’t pay unless we win.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Car Accident in Florida?
You’ll have four years to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you lost a loved one, you’ll have two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
Call us as soon as you can after your accident so you don’t miss a deadline. You don’t get a second bite at the apple. Contact our Destin, FL law office so you can hand your case off to us and concentrate on your recovery.
What Do I Need to Win My Car Accident Case in Florida?
Most personal injury claims are based on negligence. Even if your case seems straightforward, there are specific legal standards you’ll have to meet to win. Make sure you have a reputable Destin auto accident lawyer on your side.
What Is Negligence?
Negligence is a legal theory that holds careless parties responsible for the harm they caused.
It has four main elements:
- Duty: the defendant owed you a duty of care
- Breach: the defendant breached that duty
- Causation: the breach of duty caused you harm
- Damages: you were injured as a result
Not every act of carelessness results in negligence. Unless you successfully connect the defendant’s conduct to your injuries, you’ll lose.
How Do I Prove Negligence?
To win your case, you have to prove each element by a preponderance of the evidence.
Some types of evidence that can be used to prove negligence are:
- Your testimony
- Eyewitness testimony
- Expert testimony or reports documenting your injuries
- Police reports or other accident reports
- Traffic camera footage
Each situation is unique. You can count on our experienced lawyers to know what evidence will help prove your case.
Often, the defense realizes they have no chance at trial. So they’ll settle. Sometimes they’re stubborn. We don’t mind. We’ll happily march to trial if that’s where they’d like to face us. We’ve got decades of experience in and out of the courtroom. So we’re ready to fight for you wherever we’re needed.
What Should I Do After Getting into a Crash in Destin?
The things you do (and don’t do) are really important. Missteps could put your health in danger and harm your ability to file a successful injury claim or lawsuit.
After a collision, try to keep these tips in mind:
- Report the crash. Call 911 or the local police. An officer and emergency medical professionals can be dispatched to the scene. A police report is a great way to demonstrate that the accident happened.
- Don’t apologize. Don’t admit any responsibility. Instead, check to see if anyone needs emergency medical care and sit tight. Saying something – even an innocent “I’m sorry” – could be taken out of context and used against you down the line.
- Document the crash. Take photos, record videos, and write down the names and numbers of witnesses. The more information you can gather, the better your attorney can understand what happened.
- See a doctor. Get to the doctor or hospital as soon as you can after your accident. Minor trauma might not be apparent right away, but left untreated could be really harmful to you. Your visit will generate a medical record which will help to establish a causal link between your injuries and the accident.
- Refuse early offers. If an adjuster offers you a deal right off the bat, be wary. The insurer isn’t on your side – even if they’re your provider. They want to make money and that won’t happen by paying you for your lesions. Consult an attorney before considering a deal or engaging in settlement negotiations.
- Don’t provide a recorded statement. The insurance company might want to get you on the record about your wounds or the crash. Don’t – until you’ve discussed it with your lawyer.
Finally, call a law office. Getting an experienced attorney involved in your claim early on in the process is a game-changer.
Not only will it help you succeed, it can also help you maximize your financial recovery. Call our compassionate legal team – we’re available 24/7/365. Car accidents is one of our main practice areas, we’ll be happy to help you.
What Does an Auto Accident Lawyer Cost?
Most auto accident lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. This means that there’s no upfront cost to hire a law firm after a car accident. At Brannon & Brannon, we’re so confident that we’ll win your case that you don’t pay until we do.
That’s right – no win, no fee. That’s a guarantee.
We’ll front all of the charges associated with your case – from filing fees to experts to administrative fares and other expenses. When we negotiate a favorable settlement deal or win a verdict for you at trial, we’ll get paid. Our fee will be a percentage of your financial award, which means there’s no out-of-pocket cost to you.
Call our law offices, conveniently located in Destin, to get started now.
Your Trusted Destin Car Accident Lawyers Are Standing By
If you’re injured in a car accident in Northwest Florida, Brannon & Brannon is the firm to call. Choosing the right attorney for the job makes a difference in the amount of your recovery. Choose a law firm that knows the ropes.
We’ve spent the past 30+ years fighting for accident victims in Destin, FL and throughout the Panhandle. Call our Destin car accident lawyers, our initial consultation is free.
Destin Car Accident Client Review
Read more of our reviews here.
Destin Auto Repair Shops
- Destin Auto Center – 221 Main St, Destin, FL 32541
- Certified Automotive Repair and Service L.L.C. – 818 Airport Rd, Destin, FL 32541
- Rhodes Auto Repair – 327 Mountain Dr, Destin, FL 32541
- D’luxe Automotive – 170 Azalea Dr, Destin, FL 32541
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.