Did you or a family member sustain injuries in an accident involving a bus in Destin, FL? An experienced Destin bus accident lawyer can help you determine whether you’re entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and more. At Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Lawyers, our experienced attorneys have the skills to help you recover the maximum compensation you deserve.
Collectively, our lawyers have over 60 years of experience in personal injury law. We’ve recovered millions of dollars on behalf of accident victims in the Florida panhandle over the years.
If you were injured in an accident, you don’t have to navigate the legal process alone. Contact our law offices in Destin, Florida, to schedule a free consultation at (850) 842-2573 and learn more about how our experienced team can help.
How Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Bus Accident in Destin
For most accident victims, it’s a mistake to handle a personal injury claim alone. Without experienced legal representation, it can be tough to know whether you’re getting the full amount you deserve. It can also be difficult to prove your case while recovering from serious injuries.
At Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Lawyers, we have a proven track record of successfully helping clients like you. Our Destin personal injury attorneys have earned an AV-Preeminent rating. Our co-founding partner is also a certified circuit civil mediator and former insurance defense attorney who knows the scare tactics insurance companies will use in your case.
When you trust us with your case, you’ll have a legal team to:
- Investigate to determine the cause of your bus accident
- Determine who is responsible from a legal perspective
- Use our own resources to hire leading experts and specialists
- Calculate the fair value of your case
- Handle all insurance negotiations and court proceedings on your behalf
Our Destin personal injury lawyers know that recovering from an injury can be challenging and stressful. To learn more about how we can help with the financial strain, give us a call today.
How Common Are Bus Accidents in Destin?
According to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) data, 232 buses were involved in fatal motor vehicle accidents during 2019. That year, 84 school buses, 15 intercity buses, and 78 transit buses were involved in fatal crashes nationwide.
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), at least 223 people were injured in bus accidents during 2021. That’s down from 501 reported injuries in 2019–possibly because fewer people used public transportation in 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Unfortunately, passengers sustained the vast majority of those injuries.
At Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of bus accident cases here in Destin, including those involving:
- School buses
- Emerald Coast Rider buses (E.C. Rider buses)
- Greyhound buses
- Private charter buses
- Tour buses
- Shuttle buses
If you or a loved one were injured in a bus wreck, you don’t have to let the bus company dictate the terms of your settlement. Instead, call an experienced lawyer who can help you fight for the fair compensation you deserve.
What is My Destin Bus Accident Case Worth?
Judges and insurance companies evaluate many different factors when determining how much a personal injury case is worth. As the victim, it’s important that you understand your case value before accepting a settlement. Otherwise, you risk accepting a lowball offer.
The severity of your injuries is typically the most important factor in the valuation process.
Additional factors that can impact your case value include:
- The cost of your medical treatment and rehabilitation
- The amount of income you lost during your recovery period
- Whether you’ll return to work in the same capacity
- How the injury impacts your quality of life
- Your physical and emotional suffering
- Whether liability is clearly established
Insurance companies have a number of tactics they can use to downplay your injuries. They might blame you for causing the accident or claim that you failed to mitigate damages. They might even claim that your injuries were pre-existing.
Like the insurance company, our lawyers have handled cases like yours before. We know how to minimize the impact of insurance scare tactics. To learn more about your case value, call our law firm in Destin for a free case review today.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Bus Accident Victims?
Bus accident victims may be entitled to many different types of damages, including compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Nursing care or in-home assistance
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for a Bus Accident in Florida?
Under the modified comparative fault laws in Florida, you can recover compensation if someone else was mostly responsible for the crash. If you share some percentage of fault, your damages are reduced by the percentage of blame allocated to you.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Bus Accident Injuries
Depending on the severity of the crash, victims can suffer injuries that range from mild to permanent and catastrophic.
At Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Lawyers, we often represent clients who have sustained:
- Eye and facial injuries
- Dental injuries
- Broken bones
- Nerve injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Chest injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
It’s important to understand your legal rights after an injury. Our lawyers work on a contingency fee basis because we don’t want you to be afraid to reach out for legal advice because of the cost. To learn more about how we can help with your case, call our Destin bus accident attorneys for a 100% free case evaluation today.
What Causes Most Bus Accidents in Destin, Florida?
Bus accidents happen for many of the same reasons that cause any other motor vehicle accident. Bus drivers are required to obtain a commercial vehicle license (CDL). Still, they’re just as capable of causing an accident as any other driver.
Some of the most common causes of bus accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy driving
- Inexperienced or unqualified bus drivers
- Stopping in unsafe locations
- Aggressive driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Unsafe passing or lane changes
- Dangerous left-hand turns
- Running a red light
- Failure to stop at an intersection
- Drunk driving
- Operating the bus under the influence of alcohol
- Worn tires
- Mechanical failures
- Defective bus parts, including faulty brakes or tires
Bus companies are required to conduct regulation inspections and maintain their buses in safe condition. If they don’t, they can be held liable when others are injured.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Bus Accident in Florida?
Most bus accidents occur because of driver error. In these cases, victims must prove negligence to seek compensation.
To prove negligence, you must establish:
- The responsible party’s duty of care
- A breach of duty occured
- The breach of duty caused your accident
- The damages you sustained
Bus companies are common carriers in the state of Florida. That means they have a heightened duty to drive safely to keep passengers and others safe. Sometimes that can make it easier to establish your right to compensation.
Still, cases involving bus and truck accidents are more complicated than typical auto accident cases. Even if the bus driver caused the accident, the bus company or another party may ultimately be responsible for your damages. Our lawyers in Destin can help you identify all responsible parties and legal bases for holding them accountable.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Bus Accident in Florida?
In Florida, the statute of limitations gives most car accident victims two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. If the defendant in your bus accident was a private party, that two-year deadline will apply unless your case falls under an exception that extends the time limit.
Public transportation in Destin is operated by the Okaloosa County Transit authority. If you were injured in an accident involving a public bus, you’ll have to take legal action much sooner after the crash. You’ll only have a few months to file a notice of claim with the government agency to preserve your right to compensation.
That’s why it’s always a good idea to consult an experienced lawyer soon after an accident. Our lawyers in Destin are always here to help. Call us today to learn more about the deadlines that apply in your case.
Contact a Destin Bus Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
No one expects to sustain injuries in an accident involving public transportation in Destin or Fort Walton Beach. When you do, it’s important to have an experienced Destin bus accident lawyer by your side. At Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Lawyers, we offer free consultations, so don’t hesitate to call to schedule yours today.
Our personal injury law firm in Destin, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Destin
- Boating Accident Attorney in Destin, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Destin Bus Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer in Destin
- Child Injury Attorney in Destin, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Destin Dog Bite Attorneys
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Destin, FL
- Destin Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Destin, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in Destin
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Destin
- Destin Uber Accident Lawyers
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Destin