Note: Our office has limited the type of Workplace Accident cases that it accepts. Our law firm accepts claims where a third third party, not your employer, is responsible for your injuries and damages.
Were you injured in a work accident in Destin, FL? You could be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and more through a workers’ compensation claim or by filing a personal injury lawsuit. An experienced Destin workplace accidents lawyer at Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys can help you fight to maximize your financial recovery.
Since we opened our doors back in 1990, we’ve recovered millions on behalf of accident victims across the Florida panhandle.
If you were hurt, reach out to our law offices in Destin, Florida or give us a call at (850) 842-2573 to schedule a free consultation today.
How Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help After a Workplace Accident in Destin
No one wants to be held financially responsible for work injuries. Without quality legal advice, you could find yourself on the hook for damages.
At Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys, we have over 60 years of combined experience fighting for accident victims like you. Our legal team includes an AV-Preeminent-rated attorney and a former insurance defense attorney who knows how the “other side” thinks.
Hiring our team means you’ll have a Destin personal injury attorney to:
- Carefully review the circumstances of your accident
- Identify all responsible parties
- Handle your initial workers’ compensation claim and any appeals
- Determine whether you’re eligible to file a third-party lawsuit
- Assess the value of your damages claim
- Handle all paperwork and negotiations with the insurance company
You deserve fair compensation if you’ve been injured at work. Unfortunately, the fight can quickly start to seem like an uphill battle. The insurance companies might challenge your right to benefits at every turn.
Our experienced Destin workplace accidents attorneys have the resources and experience to level the playing field. To learn more about our practice areas and create an attorney-client relationship, call for a free case review today.
How Common Are Workplace Accidents in Destin, FL?
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), private employers reported 2.7 million nonfatal work injuries and illnesses in 2020. The BLS reported that 4,764 workers lost their lives in fatal work accidents. In Florida alone, 275 workers were killed on the job in 2020.
Most of the time, people think of dangerous factories or construction sites when they think of workplace accidents. Realistically, any workplace can be dangerous given the right conditions.
In Florida, 90 workplace accident fatalities were caused by transportation accidents, and another 77 happened because of slips, trips, and falls.
At Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys, we handle all types of work accident claims, including those involving:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Falls from ladders and roofs
- Scaffolding accidents
- Injuries caused by being struck by an object
- Exposure to toxic substances
- Repetitive stress injuries, including carpal tunnel syndrome
- Injuries caused by heavy lifting
- Electrocution and electric shock
- Fires and explosions
- Fishing accidents
- Agricultural accidents
- Motor vehicle accidents (including car accidents, truck accidents, etc.)
- Workplace violence
If you were injured in the workplace, you have legal rights under Florida’s workers’ compensation law. You may also be entitled to sue a negligent third party for damages. Learn more about your legal options today by calling our personal injury law firm for a free case review.
What Is My Destin Workplace Accident Case Worth?
Many different factors can affect the value of your personal injury claim. It’s essential to have an experienced lawyer examine the facts before agreeing to any settlement.
Some of the most important considerations in determining how much your personal injury case is worth include:
- The severity and nature of your injuries
- The duration of your recovery
- Your lost wages and income prior to the accident
- The cost of your medical treatment
- The identity of the parties responsible for your accident
- The strength of your negligence claim
In Florida, the maximum weekly workers’ compensation payment in 2022 is $1,099 per week. Even if your earnings were higher, you can’t receive more than the state maximum. However, you may be entitled to additional damages, depending on the circumstances of your accident.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Workplace Accident Victims?
The types of damages available to work accident victims depend on how you go about recovering compensation.
Florida workers’ compensation provides benefits for all reasonable and necessary medical bills, including hospitalization, doctor’s visits, and rehabilitation.
Workers’ comp also provides benefits for:
- Total temporary disability
- Partial disability
- Permanent disability
- Death benefits
In exchange for these benefits, you forfeit your right to sue a negligent employer. However, negligent third parties aren’t protected by this rule. If a third party’s negligence caused your injuries, you can file a third-party claim for additional damages.
Under Florida personal injury laws, you’re entitled to be compensated for economic and non-economic losses, including:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
Your losses are unique to your situation. Our lawyers will evaluate your claim for free to determine the damages that you deserve. Call our lawyers to schedule your free case evaluation today.
How Do I Know Whether I Have a Valid Third-Party Claim?
A third party in a work accident case is anyone who isn’t your employer or a co-worker.
So, you may have a valid third-party claim if your injuries were caused by:
- A driver in a motor vehicle accident
- The manufacturer of defective tools or work equipment
- A property owner who failed to maintain the premises
- General contractor
- Third-party vendor or supplier
Our lawyers will investigate to find out who was responsible for your injuries.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for a Workplace Accident in Florida?
Workers’ compensation is a no-fault system. You can receive benefits even if you were fully responsible for the accident.
However, the value of your third-party claim can be limited if you share fault. Florida’s modified comparative fault laws allocate liability between all parties who were involved in an accident. If you share part of the blame, your compensation can be reduced in proportion to your percentage of fault. However, you won’t be able to recover damages if you are mostly at fault.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Workplace Accident Injuries
The nature of a workplace injury can vary dramatically, depending on the circumstances.
At Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys, we often represent victims who have sustained:
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Hearing loss
- Eye injuries
- Cuts and lacerations
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Crush injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
If you’re lucky, you may recover from your injuries quickly. Still, not everyone is so lucky. Some work injuries leave workers struggling with pain and sky-high medical bills for months or even years.
What Causes Most Workplace Accidents in Destin, Florida?
Work accidents can happen in many different ways. According to OSHA, the leading causes of work accidents are falls, being struck by objects, electrocution, and accidents where the victim is caught between objects.
Some of the most common causes of work-related accidents in Destin include:
- Violation of OSHA and state safety regulations
- Negligent property maintenance and dangerous premises
- Unsafe work equipment and defective products
- Lack of proper fall protection equipment
- Lack of safety equipment
- Failure to maintain work equipment and machinery
- Lack of proper training
- Negligent hiring practices
- Failure to supervise employees
- Communication failures
Regardless of the cause, our Destin workplace accidents attorneys are here to protect you. Call for a free initial consultation to learn more today.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Workplace Accident in Florida?
You can file a workers’ compensation claim without proving negligence. However, you will likely have to prove that someone was negligent to seek compensation in a personal injury case.
The four elements of a negligence claim are:
- A legal duty of care
- Breach of duty
You must prove that someone else’s careless, reckless, or wrongful acts directly caused your injuries.
Even if you aren’t required to prove negligence, you can face many different challenges when it comes to getting fair workers’ comp benefits, including:
- Your injuries weren’t work-related
- Your injuries were pre-existing
- You didn’t provide notice quickly enough
- Paperwork was incomplete or missing
- You visited a non-approved doctor
Our lawyers can help you overcome these and other challenges to your benefits claim.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Workplace Accident in Florida?
You should report your injuries to your employer within 30 days to protect your right to workers’ compensation benefits.
You’ll generally have two years from the accident date to file a personal injury lawsuit if you’re eligible to pursue damages from a third party. However, you may have more or less time in certain situations, so contact us today to preserve your legal rights.
Contact a Destin Workplace Accidents Lawyer For a Free Consultation
Were you injured on the job in Destin, FL? A Destin workplace accidents lawyer at Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys can help you fight for the maximum compensation you deserve. We serve clients across the panhandle, so don’t hesitate to call our office today.
Our personal injury law firm in Destin, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Destin
- Boating Accident Attorney in Destin, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Destin Bus Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer in Destin
- Child Injury Attorney in Destin, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Destin Dog Bite Attorneys
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Destin, FL
- Destin Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Destin, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in Destin
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Destin
- Destin Uber Accident Lawyers
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Destin