Did you recently get hurt or lose a loved one in a bicycle accident in Destin, Florida? If so, let one of our top-rated Destin bicycle accident lawyers fight to help you get the compensation you deserve for medical expenses, lost wages, and suffering.
We’ve been standing up for clients injured in Destin, Fort Walton Beach, and throughout Northwest Florida for more than three decades. We’ve won millions of dollars by putting our 60+ years of combined experience to work for injured victims just like you.
How Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help After a Bicycle Accident in Destin
Unfortunately, there really is no such thing as a “fender-bender” when it comes to bicycle crashes. They’re usually catastrophic and cause severe injuries or death. You will need to take care of yourself or your family after the accident. We can take care of everything else.
When you hire our Destin personal injury lawyers, we will:
- Thoroughly investigate your accident
- Locate and interview witnesses
- Handle all communications with insurance companies
- Negotiate for a settlement favorable to you
- Take your case to trial if necessary
We’re a father-son team with roots in the local community. We’ve earned the trust and respect of insurance companies, defense firms, and the local courts. That works to your advantage. We put all of our resources behind your case.
Call our Destin, FL law office today to ask how we can help you with your case. Your initial consultation is free.
Bicycle Accidents Statistics
Florida consistently ranks at the top of the list of one of the most dangerous states to ride a bike. The Sunshine State has more fatalities per capita than any other state. Roughly 96% of all cycling accidents in Florida in 2020 resulted in injury or death.
In 2020, there were about 16 bicycle crashes per day throughout Florida. In the 5,952 crashes that occurred that year, there were 5,574 injures and 169 fatalities.
In Okaloosa County, which includes Destin, in 2020:
- There were 52 bicycle crashes
- 48 injuries from bike wrecks
- Two people were killed on bikes
As of early November 2021, 43 people have been injured and one has died in a total of 44 bike crashes in Okaloosa County.
What is My Bicycle Accident Case Worth?
The best way to get a better idea is to consult with an experienced Destin personal injury attorney. No two cases are alike. We’d be doing a disservice to try to give an estimate without knowing the facts of your case.
Some things that could affect how much your case is worth include:
- How severe your injuries are
- Whether you missed work
- Your prognosis
- Whether you were wearing a helmet or reflective gear
- Whether you were following bike laws
Generally, accidents where victims are severely injured or killed result in higher awards. Sometimes, the horrific nature of the accident can increase the value of a case.
I Was Injured in a Bike Crash – What Kind of Damages Can I Get?
Any physical or emotional damage caused by your accident is fair game. These are generally divided into two separate categories: (1) economic; and (2) non-economic. Your award may be a combination of both types.
Economic damages can include:
These include future costs of medical treatment needed, not just what you’ve already incurred.
Non-economic damages can include:
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life activities
We want you to recover compensation for every dollar you deserve. When someone else is at fault, you shouldn’t have to foot the bill.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Being Blamed For a Bicycle Accident in Florida?
Yes. Florida follows the modified comparative fault rule when it comes to shared liability. It allows you to still recover compensation as long as you aren’t mostly at fault. If you are partly at fault, your award will be reduced by the percentage of fault assigned to you.
Our experienced Destin personal injury attorneys have insight into the blame game played by the insurance companies. Our founding attorney is a former insurance defense lawyer. The insurance companies know they can’t get away with their usual tactics when we’re on your side.
We Handle All Bicycle Accident Injuries
We have more than three decades of experience fighting for victims with varying degrees of all types of injuries.
Some common bicycle accident injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Wrongful death
- And much more
It’s essential to seek medical attention as soon as possible after your accident. Many injuries aren’t visible. Or, you may be in shock and not realize how badly your hurt. Most importantly, a medical report will be important to your case if you decide to seek compensation for your injuries.
What Causes Most Bicycle Accidents?
Even when you’re cycling safely and doing everything right, motor vehicles have a hard time seeing you when you’re on your bike. Unfortunately, some motorists just don’t like to share the road with cyclists.
Some common causes of bike accidents are:
- Being hit by a car drifting into the bike lane
- Distracted drivers
- Drunk drivers
- Aggressive driving
- Slick roadways
- Loose gravel
- Being hit by a car during a turn due to poor visibility
- Colliding with a fixed object
- Mechanical failure
- Excessive speed
- Getting “doored” when a car door is opened on you
For more than 30 years, we’ve been trusted as the Destin law firm that gets results. We’ll leave no stone unturned when investigating your accident. Getting to the root of the cause and pursuing the full compensation you’re due is our mission.
What is Negligence and How Do I Prove it in a Bicycle Case?
Most bicycle accidents are the result of someone’s carelessness. Negligence is the legal theory that holds people financially accountable for carelessness. That’s the legal basis for most personal injury cases.
What Is Negligence?
Someone is negligent if they fail to exercise the same care that a reasonable person would use under similar circumstances. If a reasonable person would drive the speed limit, then someone who causes an accident due to speeding could be held financially responsible for injuries caused to another person in the accident.
Negligence has four elements:
- Duty: the defendant owed you a duty of care not to cause you harm
- Breach: the defendant breached that duty
- Causation: the defendant’s breach of duty caused your injuries
- Damages: you suffered injuries as a result
Depending on the circumstances, we may use experts to establish any of the four elements.
How Do I Prove Negligence?
To win your case, you must prove each element by a preponderance of the evidence. This is a less stringent standard than for a criminal case. That doesn’t mean it’s easy. You still have to prove that it’s more likely than not that the defendant’s conduct caused your injuries and damages.
Some types of evidence commonly used to prove negligence are:
- Testimony of the parties to the accident
- Eyewitness testimony
- Video footage, such as from a traffic camera
- Testimony or reports from medical, economic, or scientific experts
- Police reports
- Payroll statements
We have extensive experience in and out of the courtroom. Even if your case doesn’t end up going to trial, the evidence that supports your case can be equally compelling in settlement negotiations. We have a winning track record with settlements and trial verdicts. You can count on us throughout your case for sound legal advice that will give you the best chance for recovering the full amount you deserve.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Bicycle Accident in Florida?
You’ll typically have to file a lawsuit for injuries within two years. For damages related to the loss of a loved one due to someone’s negligence, you’ll have two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
You may have a longer or shorter deadline depending on the facts.
It’s in your best interest to consult our Destin personal injury attorneys as soon as possible after your accident. That way, we can be sure to identify the correct liable parties and determine the correct deadline. If you don’t file your lawsuit within the required timeframe, you risk not getting any compensation at all.
Contact Our Destin Bicycle Accident Lawyers For a Free Consultation
In the aftermath of your bicycle crash, you need time to recover. Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys can help you through this challenging time by handling every aspect of your case from beginning to end. When someone else has caused you pain and suffering, you don’t deserve to spend your time fighting with tightfisted insurance companies who are trying to get out of paying you what you’re due.
Clients have been putting their faith in our father-son team for more than 30 years. We’re proud to be helping our neighbors in the Florida Panhandle when they need us most. Let our award-winning Destin bicycle accident lawyers fight for the compensation you deserve.
Our personal injury law firm in Destin, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Destin
- Boating Accident Attorney in Destin, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Destin Bus Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer in Destin
- Child Injury Attorney in Destin, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Destin Dog Bite Attorneys
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Destin, FL
- Destin Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Destin, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in Destin
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Destin
- Destin Uber Accident Lawyers
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Destin
Destin Emergency Rooms
- Destin ER – 200 Tequesta Dr, Destin, FL 32541
- Ascension Sacred Heart Hospital Emerald Coast – 7800 US-98, Miramar Beach, FL 32550
- Ascension Sacred Heart Medical Park and Walk-in Clinic at Destin – 36500 Emerald Coast Pkwy, Destin, FL 32541
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.