Were you or a loved one hurt in an accident involving a Lyft vehicle in Destin, FL? You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering. An experienced Destin Lyft accident lawyer at Brannon & Brannon can help you fight to protect your legal right to compensation.
Since we were founded in 1990, we’ve worked hard for accident victims across Northwest Florida. In the process, we’ve successfully recovered millions of dollars in compensation.
How Can Brannon & Brannon Help After a Lyft Accident in Destin?
Rideshare accident cases tend to be complex. They often involve multiple parties–including a major corporation that won’t want to take responsibility for a driver’s negligent acts. Lyft drivers are independent contractors. Historically, that’s made it difficult for accident victims to recover fair compensation when a Lyft driver causes a crash.
Fortunately, the laws have changed. However, you’ll still have to face off against a commercial insurance company to recover damages. Contact an experienced Destin personal injury attorney that will know how to help.
We have over 60 years of experience fighting for accident victims. We’ve earned an AV-preeminent rating for our success.
Hiring us means you’ll have an attorney to:
- Investigate the circumstances of the accident
- Identify the insurance policies that apply in your case
- Defend you if you’re blamed for causing the accident
- Hire experts and specialists when needed
- Negotiate with the insurance companies to maximize your settlement or verdict
You have a lot on your mind if you or a loved one were injured. Our Destin personal injury attorneys can get started on your case quickly. Call for a free case review today to get the legal advice you deserve.
How Common Are Lyft Accidents in Destin, FL?
Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft offer a convenient way to get around Destin. However, it’s important to remember that Lyft drivers are only human. While hailing a Lyft is a smart alternative to drunk driving, rideshare services may have actually increased the number of fatal car accidents in the U.S.
In a study using National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) data, experts found that fatal motor vehicle accidents increased by approximately 3% in the years since Uber and Lyft were introduced in major cities.
Why? The study found that the Lyft option increased the number of vehicles on the roads–thus increasing the risk of serious accidents for other drivers, pedestrians, and even bicyclists.
What is My Destin Lyft Accident Case Worth?
No two car accident claims are exactly alike. Our Destin car accident lawyers will examine your case closely when calculating how much your personal injury case is worth.
Relevant factors in an Uber or Lyft accident case include:
- The nature of your injuries
- The cost of your medical care
- Your out-of-pocket expenses and the cost of vehicle repairs
- Whether you’ll suffer a permanent or long-term disability
- Your physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Whether the injury impacts your work, education, or quality of life generally
The amount of money car accident victims can recover is often limited by the available insurance coverage. Under Florida state law, Lyft drivers are required to carry a commercial insurance policy. The Lyft policy is larger than the typical no-fault insurance policy required under Florida no-fault insurance laws.
However, the available coverage depends on the driver’s status at the time of the crash. As the victim, you’ll be responsible for proving which insurance policy should apply.
Lyft App is Turned On, Awaiting a Ride
Suppose the driver’s Lyft app is turned on but the driver has yet to accept a ride request. In this case, the following coverage is available:
- $50,000 per person for bodily injury
- $100,000 per accident for bodily injury
- $25,000 per accident for property damage
This third-party liability coverage applies after you have already exhausted your own insurance policy limits.
Driver Has Accepted a Lyft Ride Request
From the moment the Lyft driver accepts a ride request, a more generous policy applies to provide:
- Up to $1 million in third-party liability coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
- Contingent comprehensive and collision coverage up to the actual cash value of the damaged car ($2,500 deductible)
This coverage applies until the Uber or Lyft driver has completed the ride within the Lyft app.
Lyft App is Turned Off
Lyft drivers use their own personal vehicles when driving for rideshare companies. When the app is turned off, Lyft isn’t involved at all. Instead, the driver’s own personal car insurance will apply.
In other words, the case is treated like any other auto accident case.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Lyft Accident Victims?
Florida personal laws categorize compensatory damages according to whether they compensate the victim for economic or non-economic losses.
If you were hurt, your economic damages may cover the cost of:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and income
- Diminished future earning capacity
- Physical therapy
- Out-of-pocket costs
- Vehicle repairs
- Property damage
Your non-economic damages award will account for your non-financial losses, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
In rare cases, courts may also award punitive damages to punish a defendant for intentional wrongdoing.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for a Lyft Accident in Florida?
Many different things can cause a Lyft accident. Often, the rideshare driver isn’t 100% at-fault. Pedestrians, bicyclists, and third-party drivers can all contribute to the cause of an accident.
Under Florida modified comparative fault laws, all parties involved are liable for their share of the damage. You can be held liable for your proportionate share of the damage even if you were injured in an Uber or Lyft accident. You will not be able to recover any money if you are mostly at fault.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Lyft Accident Injuries
Like any other car crash, accidents involving an Uber or Lyft can cause a wide range of injuries. At Brannon & Brannon, our Destin Lyft accident attorneys handle all types of personal injury claims, including those involving:
- Whiplash injuries
- Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Seat belt injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Chest injuries
- Back injuries
- Crush injuries
- Broken bones
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Whether you were a passenger in the Lyft vehicle or simply walking down the street, our lawyers can help you fight for the fair compensation you deserve. Just call our law firm in Destin to schedule a free case review today.
What Causes Most Lyft Accidents in Destin, Florida?
Most car accidents happen because of human error. In other words, they’re caused by negligence.
Lyft drivers tend to spend a significant amount of time behind the wheel. They’re often distracted by their GPS and Lyft app–and may not be familiar with the roads.
Some of the most common causes of Lyft accidents in Destin include:
- Distracted driving
- Stopping in unsafe locations to drop off passengers
- Unfamiliarity with the area
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Aggressive driving
- Unsafe passing
- Illegal lane changes
- Dangerous turns
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Failure to maintain the vehicle
Multiple parties can also play a role in causing a single accident. Don’t worry if you’re not sure what caused your Lyft accident. Call our lawyers in Destin to learn more about how we can investigate to find out what happened.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Lyft Accident in Florida?
Florida is a no-fault insurance state. To recover damages not covered by your own insurance, you’ll have to prove someone else was responsible for your accident. Most of the time that means you’ll have to prove negligence.
Negligence is a failure to use reasonable caution. To establish negligence, your lawyer will work to prove the following elements:
- A legal duty of care
- Breach of duty
- Causation (the breach, or negligent act, directly caused your accident)
- The damages you sustained
Depending on the circumstances, video footage, police reports, witness testimony, and other types of evidence can be used to prove your claim.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Lyft Accident in Florida?
The Florida statute of limitations gives crash victims two years to file a personal injury lawsuit based on negligence (sometimes longer depending on the facts). However, many accident claims are resolved out of court, through insurance negotiations. That means it’s important to get started quickly after your accident.
Our lawyers can step in and preserve your right to seek compensation from all responsible parties. To learn more about how we can help, contact us today.
Contact a Destin Lyft Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
You may be entitled to compensation if you were injured in an accident involving a Lyft driver. Because of insurance issues, Lyft accident cases can be more complex than typical car accident claims. Call a Destin Lyft accident lawyer at Brannon & Brannon today to learn more about how an experienced lawyer can help with your claim.
Our personal injury law firm in Destin, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Destin
- Boating Accident Attorney in Destin, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Destin Bus Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer in Destin
- Child Injury Attorney in Destin, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Destin Dog Bite Attorneys
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Destin, FL
- Destin Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Destin, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in Destin
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Destin
- Destin Uber Accident Lawyers
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Destin