If you or a family member were injured in an accident involving an electric scooter in Destin, FL, you might be entitled to financial compensation. An experienced Destin electric scooter accident lawyer at Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys can help you fight to recover money for medical bills, lost wages, and your suffering.
Since 1990, we’ve dedicated our practice to fighting for accident victims across Northwest Florida. Our lawyers have successfully recovered millions of dollars for injured clients in the panhandle.
How Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help After an Electric Scooter Accident in Destin
Life after an accident is rarely easy. While electric scooters are a fun way to get around time, an accident can quickly turn your life upside down. You’re already dealing with painful injuries, mounting medical bills, and you may be unable to work while you recover.
Our experienced Destin personal injury attorneys are here to help you fight for the fair compensation you need and deserve. Collectively, our lawyers have over 60 years of experience in personal injury law. One of our founding attorneys is a former insurance defense attorney with in-depth knowledge of how insurance companies operate after an accident.
Our Destin personal injury lawyers can help make your case easier by:
- Conducting our own independent investigation into the accident
- Hiring top-rated specialists and experts to help prove causation
- Assigning a fair financial value to your injuries
- Standing up for you if the insurance company claims you caused the accident
- Negotiating with the insurance companies and defense lawyers on your behalf
Recovering the maximum compensation you deserve is our number one priority. We work on a contingency fee basis, so we only recover attorney’s fees if we win for you. If you were hurt, don’t hesitate to call for a free consultation today.
How Common Are Electric Scooter Accidents?
Electric scooters have become an extremely popular and inexpensive way to get around Destin in recent years. E-scooter rental companies like Bird and Lime seem to be popping up everywhere. As accident and injury rates increase, the use of electric scooters in Destin has also been controversial.
Safety regulations have generally failed to prevent electric scooter accidents in the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) studies estimate that about 50,000 Americans visited the emergency room for e-scooter accident injuries over a three-year period. At least 27 people died in electric scooter accidents during that time.
Electric scooters can be dangerous for many different reasons, including:
- Many e-scooter riders are inexperienced
- The scooters aren’t always stable or easy to maneuver
- Electric scooters can be difficult to see
- The e-scooter rider has little to protect them in a motor vehicle accident
If you were injured in an e-scooter accident, don’t hesitate to reach out to our Destin electric scooter accident attorneys for legal advice. You may be entitled to significant compensation.
What Is My Destin Electric Scooter Accident Case Worth?
Victims are entitled to compensation that makes them “whole” again after an accident. Still, not all damages are easy to translate into dollars and cents. It’s also possible that you could incur future expenses that will also need to be included in your settlement.
Our experienced lawyers can help you determine how much your personal injury case is worth so that you don’t risk settling for less money than you deserve.
The value of your case will depend on the unique facts of your case, such as:
- The nature and severity of your injuries
- Whether you’ll suffer any permanent or long-term disability
- The cost of your medical treatment, property damage, and other expenses
- How the injury impacts your earnings, both during recovery and in the future
- Whether you’ve suffered any emotional trauma
- The injury’s impact on your lifestyle
- Whether you share any blame for the accident
- Whether liability can be clearly established
Over the years, our lawyers have handled countless cases similar to yours. We’ll use that experience to your advantage when it comes time to put a dollar value on your insurance claim. Just call for your free initial consultation to get started today.
What Types of Damages Are Available To Electric Scooter Accident Victims?
As a victim, you can seek economic damages for all of your financial expenses, including:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Nursing care or in-home assistance
- Property damage
You can also seek damages for your more personal and intangible losses, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional suffering and trauma
- Lost quality of life
- Physical disfigurement or scarring
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of your loved one’s company or financial support
Depending on the circumstances, the insurance company, negligent driver, or even the manufacturer of a defective scooter may be responsible for paying your damages.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for an Electric Scooter Accident in Florida?
You can seek compensation for your injuries if someone else was even 1% responsible for the accident.
Shared fault can limit the amount of compensation you take home. Under Florida’s pure comparative fault laws, you won’t lose your right to sue for damages if you’re partly responsible for your accident. However, your settlement or verdict will be reduced in proportion to your percentage of fault.
We’ll Fight To Recover Compensation for All of Your Electric Scooter Accident Injuries
Electric scooter riders in Florida are largely subject to the same rules and regulations as bicyclists. Most e-scooter rental companies provide riders with helmets on request. Still, the safety regulations haven’t prevented all e-scooter accidents–and riders are the most susceptible to injuries in a crash.
At Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys, we often represent clients who have sustained:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Concussions and other head injuries
- Broken bones
- Knee injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Burns and road rash
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Amputation injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Electric scooter accidents often result in severe injuries despite the fact that the vehicle can’t operate at high speeds. If you or a loved one were injured, call our law offices in Destin to schedule a free case evaluation to learn more about your legal rights.
What Causes Most Electric Scooter Accidents in Destin, Florida?
Most e-scooter accidents occur because someone was careless. Sometimes, defects in the scooter can lead to an accident even if everyone was careful.
Overall, some of the most common causes of electric scooter accidents in Destin are:
- Inexperienced drivers
- Speeding and other violations of traffic laws
- Reckless driving
- Riding the electric scooter in prohibited areas
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Dangerous turns
- Mechanical failures and defective scooters
- Power surges
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Riding double on the e-scooter
- Lack of dedicated infrastructure like bike lanes
- Potholes and uneven pavement or sidewalks
- Weaving around pedestrians on the sidewalk
Other accidents happen because the rider parks the electric scooter in unsafe locations where pedestrians might slip and fall.
How Do I Prove Negligence After an Electric Scooter Accident in Florida?
The same legal concepts that apply in any other car accident case also apply in electric scooter accident cases. Most often, the victim must prove negligence to recover damages.
Proving negligence requires establishing:
- The at-fault party’s legal duty of care
- A breach of duty
- The breach caused your accident
- The damages you sustained as a result
Our lawyers know how to locate the evidence you’ll need to support your insurance claim. We’ll search for:
- Video surveillance footage
- Photos of the crash
- Evidence from the crash scene
- Police reports
- Evidence about the scooter rental company’s inspection and scooter maintenance
- Reports of past safety violations
- Experts who can testify about the cause of the accident
It’s also possible that you could have a strict liability claim against the manufacturer of a defective e-scooter, battery, or part.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After an Electric Scooter Accident in Florida?
The statute of limitations in the State of Florida is four years. Accident victims have four years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party.
It’s possible that the deadline in your case could be shorter or longer, depending on the facts. If you miss the deadline, you’ll forfeit your right to seek compensation entirely. So, it’s always important to speak with an experienced lawyer sooner rather than later.
Contact a Destin Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Did you or a loved one sustain injuries in an e-scooter accident? Our team at Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys is always available to discuss your case. Call or contact us to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Destin electric scooter accident lawyer today.