Did you sustain a brain injury in Destin, FL? Contact Brannon & Brannon for legal advice today. An experienced Destin brain injury lawyer can help you seek compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Our lawyers have been fighting to protect injury victims since we opened our doors in 1990. We’ve recovered millions of dollars in life-changing settlements and verdicts over the years.
We know that a brain injury can impact your life in shocking ways. We’re here to help you fight for the maximum compensation you deserve. Just contact our law offices in Destin, Florida at (850) 842-2573 to schedule a free consultation today.
How Brannon & Brannon Can Help With a Brain Injury Claim in Destin, FL
Brain injury cases are extremely complex. As the victim, you could suffer far-reaching outcomes. Before accepting any settlement, you’ll need to understand those potential outcomes–or risk walking away with less money than you deserve.
Our lawyers have over 60 years of experience fighting insurance companies on behalf of injured clients. The insurance companies know that we won’t accept a lowball settlement.
You can count on our lawyers to:
- Identify all parties who share responsibility for your injury
- Gather the evidence to support your case
- Hire experts in life planning, medicine, economics and other relevant specialties
- Protect you if the insurance company blames you for causing the injury
- Negotiate with the insurance companies to win the maximum compensation possible
The last thing you need is a lengthy insurance battle. Let our Destin personal injury attorneys handle all of the details. All you have to do is call our law firm to schedule a free case review to get started.
Overview of Brain Injuries
Most traumatic brain injuries (TBI) occur when there’s some type of trauma to the head. In some cases, the force strikes the head from the outside–such as when the head hits the ground in a fall accident. In other cases, the damage occurs when the brain itself moves within the head and strikes the skull’s hard surface.
The severity of any brain injury will depend on:
- The area of the brain impacted
- The type of injury sustained
- The severity of the damage itself
Brain damage can occur even when the skull isn’t penetrated. As an initial matter, brain injuries are classified as either closed head injuries or open head injuries.
Closed head injuries occur when there is no break in the skull protecting the brain tissue. Open head injuries happen when a foreign object pierces the skull and causes damage to the brain.
Additionally, brain injuries can be classified as “traumatic” or “acquired.” Traumatic brain injuries usually occur after some type of sudden impact, like an accident or gunshot. Acquired brain injuries are caused by internal factors, such as an infection or lack of oxygen.
Types of Brain Injury
At Brannon & Brannon, we handle all types of brain injury claims. Our attorneys in Destin, Florida, represent clients who have sustained:
- Skull fractures
- Puncture wounds
- Diffuse axonal injuries (DAI), where each side of the brain is injured
- Contusions, or bruising and bleeding within the brain
- Coup-contrecoup injuries, where contusions occur in more than one area of the brain
- Intracranial hematomas, or bleeding in the brain tissue
- Focal brain injuries (injuries confined to one region of the brain)
- Diffuse brain injuries (injury to more than one region)
Any type of brain injury can cause serious long-term damage. Victims may require multiple surgeries and ongoing rehabilitation. Some brain injuries can even be catastrophic or fatal.
Did you or a loved one sustain a brain injury? Call our Destin brain injury attorneys for a free case review today. We’ll discuss the circumstances surrounding your injury and help you understand your legal rights and options.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Brain Injuries?
The brain is arguably the most complex organ in the human body. It sends signals to the spinal cord that control how the entire body functions. As such, when the brain is injured, the signs and symptoms can vary widely.
Depending on which region of the brain is damaged, potential symptoms include:
- Loss of consciousness
- Short-term memory loss
- Nausea and vomiting
- Blurred vision
- Extreme headache
- Ringing in the ears
- Difficulty speaking or understanding
- Fatigue or drowsiness
- Sensitivity to light or sound
- Dilated pupils
- Muscle weakness
- Numbness in the fingers or toes
- Agitation or unusual behavioral changes
Not all of these symptoms will appear immediately after an accident. Further, some secondary brain injuries develop over time after an accident. That’s why it’s always important to seek medical care immediately after any type of traumatic accident.
What are the Long-Term Consequences of Brain Injuries?
The brain is responsible for physical bodily functions, memory, personality and more. The long-term consequences of brain damage can be both far-reaching and extremely serious.
Brain injury victims can experience:
- Memory loss
- Personality changes
- Cognitive disabilities
- Problems controlling emotions
- Loss of speech
- Loss of motor function
- Loss of eyesight
- Difficulty regulating basic bodily functions, such as blood pressure and temperature
- Changes to the immune system
- Seizure disorders
- Wrongful death
Brain injuries often result in permanent disability. Brain injuries can also become worse over time. In some cases, the victim may suffer severe depression.
The cost of treating these injuries can easily become overwhelming. If you or a family member are struggling with a brain injury, you may be entitled to compensation from the responsible party. Call Brannon & Brannon to schedule a free case evaluation with an experienced personal injury lawyer today.
What Causes Most Brain Injuries?
CDC research shows that most traumatic brain injuries happen because of fall accidents, firearm-related incidents, motor vehicle accidents, and assault.
At Brannon & Brannon, our lawyers handle all types of personal injury claims in Destin and Fort Walton Beach. Some of the most common causes of brain injuries include:
- Car accidents and auto accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Birth injuries
- Sports accidents
- Drowning accidents
- Boating accidents
- Exposure to toxic chemicals
- Construction accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Dog bites
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse
- Assault and violence
If your brain injury has impacted your quality of life, call our lawyers in Destin today. We offer a free initial consultation, so there’s no risk in getting the legal help you deserve.
What is My Destin Brain Injury Case Worth?
Research shows that about 60% of all brain injury victims remain unable to work two years after they are diagnosed. Treating a brain injury can cost anywhere between $85,000 and $3 million over a lifetime.
Despite these expert opinions on valuation, every case is unique. Factors aside from the cost of your medical treatment are also important in putting a dollar value on your personal injury claim.
Yes, valuation can be challenging in brain injury cases. It’s also critical to know how much your case is worth before you settle.
Some factors that can influence the amount of money you receive include:
- The cost of your medical treatment and out-of-pocket expenses
- How the injury changes your daily life
- Your emotional suffering
- Whether you’re expected to return to work
- Changes to your quality of life
Our lawyers have been serving Destin, FL, for decades. We work with respected experts and your doctors to calculate the fair value of your personal injury case.
What Compensation Can I Recover for My Brain Injuries in Destin, Florida?
Brain injury victims are entitled to compensatory damages for financial and non-financial losses under Florida personal injury laws.
Examples of your economic damages may include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and income
- Diminished future earning capacity
- Physical therapy
- Long-term care
- In-home modifications
- Nursing care
- Property damage
Examples of your non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
It’s important to identify all of the damage your brain injury has caused. You should expect the insurance company to downplay your losses. If they succeed, they may be able to get away with paying less than you deserve.
How Long Do I Have to File a Brain Injury Lawsuit in Florida?
In most brain injury cases, you have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. If a doctor’s negligence caused your injury, you have two years to file a medical malpractice lawsuit. That two-year clock starts running on the date you reasonably should have discovered the cause of your injury.
The consequences for missing the deadline are serious. If you wait too long to take legal action, you’ll lose your right to sue for damages.
Contact a Destin Brain Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Did you sustain a brain injury in the Florida panhandle? Call a Destin brain injury lawyer at Brannon & Brannon to explore your legal options today. You may be entitled to significant compensation–and your initial consultation is always 100% free of charge.
Our personal injury law firm in Destin, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Destin
- Boating Accident Attorney in Destin, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Destin Bus Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer in Destin
- Child Injury Attorney in Destin, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Destin Dog Bite Attorneys
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Destin, FL
- Destin Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Destin, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in Destin
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Destin
- Destin Uber Accident Lawyers
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Destin