Placing an elderly loved one in a nursing home is an extremely difficult decision. However, your family member may need a greater level of care than you can provide. They may even need skilled, long-term nursing care. Therefore, a nursing home may feel like the only option.
Sadly, nursing home residents are frequent victims of abuse and neglect — mistreatment that no elderly person deserves. The Destin nursing home abuse lawyers at Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Lawyers helps families protect their loved ones from abuse and neglect in a nursing home. Our goal is to help you obtain justice for the harm to your loved one.
We have advocated for Destin, FL accident and injury victims since 1990. We are ready to fight for your family during this difficult time. Contact us today at (850) 842-2573 to schedule your free consultation with a Destin nursing home abuse lawyer.
How Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With Your Nursing Home Abuse Case
Nursing homes have a duty to provide proper care and maintain a safe environment for nursing home residents. Unfortunately, many nursing homes cut corners and fail to vet and train their staff and/or properly care for residents.
Our personal injury attorneys in Destin, Florida have extensive experience holding nursing homes accountable for neglect and abuse of residents. We have recovered millions for accident victims in the panhandle.
When you hire Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Lawyers to represent your family, we will:
- Investigate the staff and conditions at the nursing home
- Gather evidence of your loved one’s abuse and neglect
- Calculate your family member’s damages as a result of their injuries
- Work with leading experts if necessary to strengthen your case
- Handle all communications and negotiations with the nursing home
- Take your case to court to protect your loved one’s rights
Contact our law office now to speak with a Destin personal injury attorney about your case.
Different Types of Nursing Home Abuse in Florida
Nursing home abuse encompasses a wide range of misconduct by nursing homes and their employees. It’s not only physical.
Abuse in nursing homes often takes the form of:
- Physical abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Psychological abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Financial abuse
- Verbal abuse
Your loved one can experience abuse even if you visit them frequently. You should always look for signs of abuse and neglect each time you see your family member.
What Injuries and Harm Can Result From Nursing Home Abuse?
Nursing home abuse can cause serious injuries and illnesses. The effects can be devastating — and even fatal.
Nursing home abuse and neglect often results in:
- Broken bones
- Choking injuries
- Emotional distress
- Fear of being left alone
- Fear of nursing home staff
- Sexually transmitted diseases and infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Withdrawal and isolation
If you notice one or more of these signs in your loved one, they may be a victim of nursing home abuse. You should report the abuse to the administration of the nursing home. You should also consider contacting 911 to report the abuse. You may need to move your loved one to a safe location, depending on the severity of the abuse.
You can also report the abuse and neglect to Florida’s Agency for Health Care Administration. You can file a complaint using the Florida Health Care Complaint Portal.
How Should I Prepare for a Consultation with a Destin Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer?
By preparing for your initial consultation with our lawyers, you can get the most out of your meeting and get your loved one the help they need quickly.
You should bring the following documents to your consultation for your lawyer to review:
- Medical records, including documents from the nursing home, hospitals, and primary care physicians
- Medical records of the current injury or health condition
- Photos of your loved one’s injuries
- Statements made by eyewitnesses and their contact information
- The admission paperwork and contract with the nursing home
- Documents from the nursing home since your loved one moved into the facility
- A list of physicians and health care facilities that treated your loved one before they entered the nursing home
You should also prepare a list of questions you have for your lawyer, so you don’t forget any areas of concern during the consultation.
What Compensation Can My Loved One Recover After Experiencing Abuse in the Nursing Home?
If your loved one suffered nursing home abuse, they might be eligible to recover compensation for their damages. Your loved one will be entitled to economic damages for their financial losses and non-economic damages for their personal losses.
Your loved one may be able to recover damages for:
- Past and future medical bills
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy
- The cost of relocation
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
They may be able to recover damages other than those listed. Our Destin nursing home abuse attorneys will help you identify, track, and calculate all your loved one’s losses. We’ll help you hold the nursing home and its staff members responsible for their misconduct.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Destin Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
You should act quickly if your loved one has been a victim of nursing home abuse. Our legal team can help. We’ll walk you through your options for recovering compensation from the nursing home and help you get your loved one to safety.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with a Destin nursing home abuse lawyer.
Our personal injury law firm in Destin, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Destin
- Boating Accident Attorney in Destin, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Destin Bus Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer in Destin
- Child Injury Attorney in Destin, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Destin Dog Bite Attorneys
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Destin, FL
- Destin Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Destin, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in Destin
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Destin
- Destin Uber Accident Lawyers
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Destin