Follow These Steps After An Accident
At Brannon & Brannon, we have decades of combined experience representing clients throughout Florida, including Destin and Fort Walton Beach. Injury attorneys from our firm can help you through the challenging aftermath of a car accident or other motor vehicle accident.
It is important to know what to do and what not to do after such an accident.
Make Sure Everyone Is OK
Regardless of how the accident happened or who might be at fault, it is important to survey the scene and make sure no one is seriously hurt or in any immediate danger. If there is any doubt, it is best to call 911 right away.
- Get immediate medical help: In some rear-end crashes and other car accidents that might seem minor at the time, people avoid going to the doctor because they feel sure they haven’t suffered any injuries. However, there are many injuries that are tough to detect right away without the help of a licensed medical professional.
- Call a lawyer: As soon as you are physically up for it, call us at 850-659-2252. Even if you are still on the scene, we can help you gather the information you will need and protect your rights going forward.
- Protect valuable evidence and information: The next important step is to protect evidence. This is important for insurance purposes and for a potential lawsuit or criminal investigation. Make sure the police prepare an accurate accident report. Obtain contact information from everyone involved in the accident, including witnesses. Take pictures of the scene. If you are unable to do these things after an accident, make sure you call someone you trust.
- File an accident report with your insurance carrier: You have a contractual obligation to inform your insurance provider as soon as possible after an accident. Also, this is an important step to get the information recorded and begin the negotiation process.
What NOT To Do
- Do not talk about your accident with others: Even simple conversations with friends could turn up as evidence in a later lawsuit, so it is important to avoid talking about your accident.
- Do not negotiate with insurance agents: All too often as accident lawyers, we hear stories of accident victims who immediately accept a settlement offer from an insurance agent, only to find out after it’s too late that they signed away their right to bring a lawsuit and lost a significant amount of compensation. Talk with our attorneys before negotiating with an insurance agent.
Contact Brannon & Brannon ∙ Free Initial Consultations
Make sure you talk with an attorney before making any statements to the police, your insurance carrier or anyone else.
Call us as soon as possible. We have been through this process many times before, so we can give you good counsel and protect your rights throughout the legal process. Call us at 850-659-2252 or contact us online to schedule your free initial consultation.