Putting a family member in a nursing home may be one of the hardest things you’ve ever had to do. However, you may know that your loved one needs skilled care — beyond what you can provide at home. Accordingly, a nursing home may seem like the best option.
While many nursing home residents receive sufficient care and attention, some do not. In fact, many residents experience abuse and neglect by nursing home staff members. The Fort Walton Beach nursing home abuse lawyers at Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Lawyers hold nursing homes accountable when their staff members mistreat residents. If your loved one was harmed, we can help you get justice.
We have advocated for Fort Walton Beach, FL injury victims for over three decades. Let us fight for your family during this trying time. Contact us today at (850) 863-5297 to schedule a free case consultation with a Fort Walton Beach nursing home abuse lawyer.
How Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With Your Claim
Nursing homes are supposed to offer sufficient care and a safe environment for their residents. But many nursing homes simply aren’t safe places for elderly residents. These nursing homes often fail to properly monitor or vet staff members. They may also fail to provide prescriptions, proper nutrition, and other necessary care for residents.
Our personal injury attorneys in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, have a demonstrated history of holding nursing homes accountable for abuse. We have obtained millions for clients in the panhandle.
You can count on Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Lawyers to:
- Investigate the circumstances of your loved one’s abuse
- Gather evidence of the mistreatment
- Examine whether the nursing home hired unqualified staff
- Assess your loved one’s damages from their injuries
- Work with leading medical and financial experts to strengthen your case
- Take the lead in all communications and negotiations with the other side
- Bring your case to court to get justice
Contact our law firm today to talk with a Fort Walton Beach personal injury attorney about your case.
Common Types of Nursing Home Abuse in Fort Walton Beach
The term nursing home abuse does not refer to a single action like assault. Rather, it defines a wide range of negligent behaviors and misconduct by nursing home staff. It can be physical, emotional, and financial.
Nursing home abuse can take one or more of the following forms:
- Physical abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Psychological abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Financial abuse
- Verbal abuse
Often residents who experience abuse will have a sudden, unexplainable change of behavior or mood. You can protect your loved one by checking for signs of abuse and neglect each time you visit them.
What Injuries Are Connected With Nursing Home Abuse?
Nursing home abuse can cause many different injuries and medical conditions. Sometimes the abuse is so severe and prolonged that it can be fatal.
Neglect and abuse in nursing homes can cause:
- Broken bones
- Emotional distress
- Withdrawal and isolation
- Sexually transmitted diseases and infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Dehydration and malnutrition
- Choking injuries
- Fear of being alone
- Fear of nursing home employees
Has your loved one experienced one or more of these injuries while in a nursing home? It may be time to act.
If you suspect your loved one has suffered abuse, you should report the abuse to nursing home administration. You should also contact law enforcement to report the abuse.
You may need to consider relocating your loved one to another facility or location, depending on the seriousness of the abuse.
What Should I Bring to a Consultation with a Fort Walton Beach Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer?
You should prepare for your consultation with an attorney if you hope to get the most out of it. Free consultation doesn’t mean unlimited. By preparing, you can get the answers you need to your legal questions and get your loved one the help they need — quickly.
You can prepare by gathering and bringing the following documentation to your meeting:
- Medical records related to the injury, including documents from the nursing home, hospital, or a treating physician
- Past medical records of your loved one’s conditions before the injury and before they entered the nursing home
- Admission paperwork for the nursing home
- Photographs of your family member’s injuries
- Contact information for eye witnesses
You should also draft a list of questions you have about the legal process or anything else. This way you won’t forget to ask them when the time comes to meet with your lawyer.
What Compensation Is Available In A Nursing Home Abuse Claim?
Victims of nursing home abuse may be entitled to substantial compensation. Your family member may be entitled to economic damages to compensate for financial losses and non-economic damages for personal losses.
These damages can take the form of:
- Medical expenses
- Physical therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Expenses for relocation
The best way to determine what damages are available is to contact an experienced Fort Walton Beach nursing home abuse attorney. Your lawyer can help you track and calculate your loved one’s losses and maximize the value of their claim.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Fort Walton Beach Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
Learning that your loved one has been abused by a nursing home can be devastating. But you have options. You can fight for justice for your family member and hold the nursing home responsible for their damages. Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Lawyers can help.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with a Fort Walton Beach nursing home abuse lawyer.
Our personal injury law firm in Fort Walton Beach, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Fort Walton Beach
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Fort Walton Beach
- Boating Accident Attorney in Fort Walton Beach, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Fort Walton Beach, FL
- Fort Walton Beach Bus Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer in Fort Walton Beach
- Catastrophic Injuries Attorneys in Fort Walton Beach, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Fort Walton Beach, FL
- Fort Walton Beach Dog Bite Attorneys
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Fort Walton Beach, FL
- Fort Walton Beach Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Fort Walton Beach, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Fort Walton Beach, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Fort Walton Beach, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Fort Walton Beach, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Fort Walton Beach, FL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Fort Walton Beach
- Fort Walton Beach Uber Accident Lawyers
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Fort Walton Beach, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Fort Walton Beach