Note: This content is for informational purposes only. Our law firm does not handle matters involving medical malpractice.
Were you or a family member a victim of a medical mistake in Destin, FL? You may be able to hold the negligent doctor, hospital, or medical professional liable for damages. An experienced Destin medical malpractice lawyer at Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys can help you fight to recover money for medical bills, lost wages, and more.
Our lawyers have recovered millions of dollars for our injured clients since we were founded in 1990. Collectively, we have over 60 years of experience practicing law and handling these types of cases.
If you were injured because of a negligent medical provider, we’re here to help. Just contact our law offices in Destin, Florida, to schedule a free initial consultation today at (850) 842-2573.
How Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help With a Medical Malpractice Claim in Destin
Medical negligence is a serious problem in the United States. Unfortunately, medical malpractice laws can make it tough for victims to recover fair compensation. These laws tend to favor hospitals, insurance companies, and other medical providers. An experienced personal injury lawyer in Destin can help you level the playing field.
Our team at Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys has been standing up to big insurance companies and hospitals for decades. One of our founding attorneys is a former insurance defense lawyer with first-hand experience of the scare tactics insurance companies use to scare victims into accepting lowball settlements.
Here are just some of the ways our Destin personal injury attorneys can help with your case:
- We’ll gather the evidence you need to prove what happened
- Multiple parties may share legal liability for your injury–we can determine who was ultimately liable
- We have relationships with experts and specialists who we’ll hire to support your claim
- Our lawyers have the resources to assess your case value, considering both past and future losses
Our lawyers are here to help you stand up to the insurance companies and demand the maximum compensation you deserve. We also work on a contingency fee basis, so you only pay our attorney’s fees if we win compensation for you.
To learn more about our practice areas and legal experience, just give us a call for a free consultation today.
How Common Is Medical Malpractice in Destin?
Sadly, medical malpractice is very common. It’s also extremely dangerous and often results in injury or death.
A study by the respected Johns Hopkins medical center found that medical malpractice is the third-leading cause of death in the U.S. Other reports have found that about 440,000 Americans die because of medical errors every year.
According to the National Practitioner Data Bank, Florida is one of the top states for medical malpractice payouts. In a single year, medical malpractice payouts in the state of Florida totaled nearly $350 million.
What Is My Destin Medical Malpractice Case Worth?
Insurance companies and courts consider a range of factors when determining how much any case is worth. Most of the time, the severity of your injuries will be a primary factor in determining the value of your medical malpractice claim.
When we’re calculating your case value, our lawyers will examine factors such as:
- The nature of the damage to your health
- The impact of the injury on your ability to work
- The cost of your medical care
- Whether you’ll require ongoing medical treatment and the types of care required
- Whether your life expectancy was reduced
- Your emotional and physical suffering
- The strength of your case
Our lawyers will hire experts and specialists to help with the valuation process. It’s also important to remember that it can take time to determine how a medical error might impact your future. That makes it important to speak with a lawyer soon after you’ve discovered the harm.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Medical Malpractice Victims?
A medical mistake can be extremely expensive to correct. Some errors are so grave that the patient will suffer long-term impairments–and others never fully recover. It’s important to account for all of these and other damages when making your insurance demand.
Like victims in personal injury law cases, victims of medical negligence are entitled to seek compensation for their economic damages and non-economic damages, including:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and reduced future earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Medications and medical devices
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Severe depression
- Loss of consortium
- Diminished life expectancy
Our lawyers are here to help you fight for the full range of damages available. In rare cases, that might include punitive damages to punish the defendant for intentional wrongdoing or shocking negligence.
Long-Term Consequences of Medical Malpractice
Medical mistakes can cause significant long-term consequences. Beyond the basic physical harm the patient suffers, medical malpractice can lead to:
- Worsened underlying conditions
- A need for more invasive and extensive medical procedures
- Shortened life expectancy
- Severe depression, anxiety, and other mental health disorders
- A need for ongoing monitoring and lost independence
- Blood clots, stroke, and other ancillary conditions
- Internal organ damage
- Wrongful death
Any medical provider can be held accountable for their medical mistakes. Often, it’s the hospital or medical facility that is ultimately responsible for these and other long-term consequences.
We Handle All Types of Medical Malpractice Cases in Destin, Florida
At Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys, we handle all types of medical malpractice claims, including those involving:
- Anesthesia errors
- Emergency room errors
- Medication errors
- Surgical errors
- Nursing negligence
- Radiology errors
- Hospital negligence
- Hospital-acquired infections
- Birth injuries
- Delayed medical treatment and delayed diagnosis
- Pharmacy errors
- Defective medical devices
If you were harmed because of a medical mistake, don’t hesitate to reach out to our Destin medical malpractice attorneys today.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Medical Malpractice in Destin?
Medical malpractice happens when a healthcare provider deviates from the acceptable standard of care.
Studies show that some of the leading causes of medical malpractice include:
- Failure to diagnose cancer or another disease
- Misinterpreting lab results
- Under or over treatment
- Adverse drug events
- Wrong site surgeries
- Communication failures or charting problems
- Lab mixups
- Overworked healthcare providers
- Failure to obtain a complete patient medical history
- Failure to obtain informed consent
- Failure to provide proper post-operative care
- Mistaken patient identities
- Inexperienced medical professionals
- Improperly trained medical providers
- Failure to refer a patient to a specialists
- Failure to properly monitor a patient during and after treatment
Recent studies show that doctors in the U.S. are experiencing increased symptoms of burnout. Unfortunately, when doctors are tired and overworked, errors are much more likely to occur.
You might know that you’re suffering and suspect that a medical error was to blame. Still, it’s not always easy to know exactly what happened. Our lawyers can investigate to determine whether the harm you’ve suffered was caused by medical negligence. Just call our law firm in Destin to schedule a free case review today.
How Do I Know if I Have a Valid Medical Malpractice Case in Florida?
Medical malpractice is a type of negligence. To establish liability, you must establish:
- The at-fault party owed you a duty of care
- The parameters of the duty of care
- A breach of the duty of care occurred
- The breach caused you some time of harm
- The damages you sustained
Medical malpractice is a failure to provide medical care that comports with the medical standard of care. That standard of care varies from case to case, depending on:
- The type of medical condition, injury, or illness involved
- The patient’s age, life expectancy, and medical history
- The geographic area
- Any other relevant factors
The primary issue in any medical malpractice case is whether a reasonable, similarly trained healthcare provider would have provided the same level of care you received.
Proving medical malpractice can be challenging. In the state of Florida, victims are required to provide affidavits from medical experts to even begin their claim. Our lawyers are here to help with every aspect of your case. Just give us a call to schedule a free case evaluation to discuss your case today.
How Long Do I Have To File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit in Florida?
Don’t wait to take legal action if you suspect you were a victim of medical malpractice. Under Florida law, you have only two years to file your medical malpractice lawsuit.
The two-year clock starts to run on the date you discovered the medical error or on the date you reasonably should have discovered the mistake.
If you don’t discover the error for some time, an additional four-year deadline applies–so that you can’t file a lawsuit after four years from the date of the malpractice. However, there are exceptions to this four-year time limit in cases involving children, fraud, or misrepresentation.
Contact a Destin Medical Malpractice Lawyer for a Free Consultation
If you were a victim of medical malpractice, don’t wait to reach out for legal advice. Contact an experienced Destin medical malpractice lawyer at Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys to learn more about your legal rights today. Your first consultation is free, so there’s no risk in exploring your options.
Our personal injury law firm in Destin, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Destin
- Boating Accident Attorney in Destin, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Destin Bus Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer in Destin
- Child Injury Attorney in Destin, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Destin Dog Bite Attorneys
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Destin, FL
- Destin Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Destin, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Destin, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in Destin
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Destin
- Destin Uber Accident Lawyers
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Destin, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Destin