Left-turn accidents in Destin can be dangerous because they may occur at higher speeds and impact vehicles on the side, which tend not to have as effective safety features as other parts of a vehicle.
The experienced car accident lawyers at Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys want to help you fight for the compensation you need after being seriously injured in a left-turn accident in Destin, FL. When you contact us online or call us at (850) 842-2573, we can explain your legal rights and options during a free case consultation.
How Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help You After a Left-Turn Accident in Destin, FL
At Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys, we never want our clients to feel like a number. Our goal is to make them feel like family, so we intentionally limit the number of cases we take at a time. This allows us to give each client the focus and dedication they deserve.
When you hire us to help with your left-hand turn accident case, you can count on our Destin car accident lawyers to:
- Thoroughly investigate your accident
- Obtain critical evidence in your case, such as footage from traffic or dashboard cameras
- Review any accident reports and witness statements in your case
- Handle all communications with other parties and insurance companies
- Negotiate fair compensation for your claim
With over 75 jury trials under our belt, insurance companies know that we mean business when you retain our services. We’re not afraid to fight for the outcome you deserve in Destin, Florida.
What Is a Left-Turn Accident?
A left-turn accident is a crash that occurs when one vehicle is turning left, usually into the pathway of a vehicle traveling straight. Many of these are T-bone accidents in which the vehicles form the shape of the capital letter “T.” Many occur at intersections when one vehicle fails to yield the right-of-way of another vehicle.
How Common Are Left Turn Accidents?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) statistics reports that left turns comprise approximately 53% of cross-path crashes. Additionally, the organization reports that 40% of police-reported vehicle crashes each year in the United States are intersection-related, and most of these occur when one vehicle is making a left turn.
Common Causes of Left-Turn Accidents
Left-turn accidents usually occur because of driver-related negligence. Some of the most common causes of left-turn accidents include:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Unsafe lane changes
- Misjudging the distance and speed of oncoming traffic
- Aggressive driving
- Obstructed views
- Defective traffic lights
We can fully investigate what caused the accident and who is at fault.
How Is Fault Determined in a Left-Hand Turn Accident?
Left-turn accidents usually occur because the driver turning left did not see an approaching vehicle or believed they could beat it. Drivers turning left must yield the right-of-way of oncoming traffic, according to Florida law. This law applies to vehicles turning left into any of the following:
- An intersection
- Private road
- An alley
The driver turning left must yield the right-of-way to any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction or passing on the left of the vehicle that is close enough to pose a hazard.
Because of this, there is a presumption that the driver turning left is at fault for a left-turn accident. However, there are times when the driver traveling straight may be found at fault for the accident. Your lawyer and the insurance company may review evidence to determine fault, such as:
- Police reports
- Rules of the road
- Damage to the vehicles involved
- Debris on the road
- The location where the collision occurred
- Surveillance, traffic, or dashboard camera footage
- Eyewitness statements
In some cases, we may hire an expert witness to reconstruct the accident in photographic or video form to help establish how the accident may have occurred. Contact us for a free, no-obligation consultation.
What To Do After Being Involved in a Left-Hand Turn Accident
If you were involved in a left-turn accident in Destin, there are steps you can take to protect your health and legal claim, including:
- Call 911 to report your injuries and request an ambulance
- Request the other driver’s name, phone number, address, license information, vehicle information, insurance information, driver’s license number, and license plate number
- Photograph the scene of the accident, your injuries, nearby traffic signs, weather conditions, and road conditions
- Seek prompt medical treatment and follow all of your doctor’s orders
- Keep records of all bills, invoices, and receipts related to expenses you incur because of the accident
- Record your daily symptoms and pain
Also, talk to an experienced car accident lawyer about your claim as soon as possible.
Schedule a Consultation With Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys
The experienced car accident lawyers at Brannon & Brannon Personal Injury Attorneys are ready to help you recover from your left-turn accident in Destin. Contact us online or call us to learn more about your legal rights and options.