Do you need a personal injury attorney?
We have all heard the personal injury or attorney jokes, so I do not ignore the stigma or reputation that my profession has acquired. However, the punch line is often lost when you find yourself in need of an attorney. If you do your homework and find a reputable attorney, he/she will be your greatest ally when the fighting begins.
Many of my friends have asked me to give them a short checklist of things to do after an accident. In fact, my law firm has even created a rack card that can be placed in your glove box for that rainy day (i.e. car accident). I can tell you that calling an attorney is not the first thing that you should do following an accident. The first and most important action you can take is to ensure your own safety and the safety of your family and others. For most people, they can make it through the first few days following an accident. Those initial days may be very strenuous, including an ambulance ride, an ER evaluation, a visit to your primary doctor, obtaining a rental car, choosing a repair shop, etc.. To be fair, most people can handle a majority of these tasks, however, there will come a time where you feel that you do not have the requisite knowledge to continue to represent yourself. For a majority of our clients, it is when they receive phone calls from insurance companies requesting information, signed documents, or a recorded statement. At that time, most people seek out professional help. The thing to remember is that most all personal injury attorneys provide for free consultations.
Keep in mind that you may have obligations and responsibilities to your insurance company and others following an accident, even an accident that you did not cause. You will be forced to participate in conversations about topics that you have never dealt with before. Therefore, take my advice and seek out an attorney. At the least, you will receive valuable information that could ultimately help you recover a fair and reasonable settlement for property damage and/or personal injuries. Here are a few things that you will be required to do on your own if you choose not to hire an attorney:
- Obtain a traffic accident report;
- Ensure that your medical providers are billing with the appropriate first party insurance carrier (auto, health, governmental, etc.);
- Contact your insurance carrier within a reasonable amount of time to disclose accident information, completing applications for benefits, signing medical releases and authorizations, providing recorded statements, and more;
- Obtaining your medical records and bills;
- Obtaining the medical opinions of doctors regarding your past medical history, your injuries, the cause of your injuries, your expected future medical needs, etc.
- Discussing your claim with the adverse driver or his/her insurance company;
- Avoid disclosure of information that is irrelevant, inadmissible, or otherwise harmful to your claim for damages;
- Ensuring the protection of your health insurance benefits, including Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, etc..
In fact, this list is but a fraction of the things that you will need to complete so that you receive fair and reasonable compensation for your injuries. If you wish to avoid the hassle, avoid the burden,
and ensure your rights are protected, hiring an attorney is right for you. Here are some of the advantages that you should expect when hiring Brannon & Brannon:
1. We have consistently been able to obtain a substantial increase in the insurance carrier’s settlement offer. You must understand that the carrier knows you are disadvantaged by your lack of knowledge, education and experience with car accidents. They have 100,000s of claims they work from and receive training from their carrier on how to minimize payments to claimants. You, on the other hand, have probably never been involved in an accident, have no information regarding your legal rights (other than what you have read online), and have no way of evaluating your claim. Personal injury attorneys, like Brannon & Brannon, have this knowledge, expertise, and information to assist in the settlement of your claim.
2. We take the burden from you and minimize your involvement so that you can continue to live your life. That is why you hire an attorney, to do the work that you can’t or do not wish to do. We communicate with the insurance carriers, your medical providers, governmental institutions, experts, and others to obtain information that will assist you; all the while, you receive copies of these letters and are completely informed as to our actions.
3. Low risks. If we are unable to recover any money, you do not owe us any fees. It is a service that you receive at no cost to you. It is only when we are able to recover money on your behalf when our contingency fee activates.
4. We handle nothing but personal injury and wrongful death claims. We do not represent individuals in claims involving, business disputes, family law, taxes, foreclosures, criminal charges, real estate, wills, trusts, etc.. We ONLY handle personal injury claims. This keeps us current on all changes in Florida law regarding accident claims.
5. We provide you with the means to make an educated and informed decision. I often tell people that they are my YES/NO decision makers. I handle the day-to-day operation of their claim, but I do not make final decisions regarding settlement or lawsuits. If I have provided my clients with sufficient information so that they can make an informed decision that is in their best interest and the interest of their family, I have done my job.
6. Full disclosure. There are no smoke machines and mirrors in our office. If you want information regarding your claim, it is yours. You can know the status of your case at any given time. An attorney will take your call and give you specifics regarding your claim. You are not just a number, you are part of our team.
We provide you with the knowledge that you need to make good decisions. If you have been injured in an accident, contact the law firm of Brannon & Brannon (850-863-5297) or visit our website at www.BrannonCanHelp.com.
Injured? Need Help? Brannon Can Help!